- Event: NEICAAA Outdoor Championships
- Location: New Haven Conn.
- The Lead: Assumption received a pair of school records from senior Abby Jones (Arlington, Mass. / Arlington) and a few other strong finishes on the opening day of the NEICAAA Championships, hosted by Southern Connecticut on Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Jones leads the heptathlon following the first four events with a season-best score of 2990 points. She is 28 points ahead of Jillian Kilmer of Sacred Heart. Sophomore Emma Santee (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly), meanwhile has 2457 points in the heptathlon. Jones opened her day with a new school record in the 100 meters hurdles, finishing the race in 15:08 seconds. She followed that up by winning the high jump portion of the heptathlon and tying her own school record of 1.69 meters in the process.
- Junior Caroline Leonard (Northborough, Mass. / Algonquin Regional) earned a sixth place finish in the javelin with her throw of 40.64 meters, finishing just .13 meters out of fifth place and less than two meters out of first.
- Freshman Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle) took 14th in the prelims of the 400 meters, finishing with a time of 58.23 seconds
- Freshman Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional) placed third in the 100 meter prelims with her time of 12.15 seconds, qualifying for the finals. She then took fourth in the prelims of the 200 meters with a time of 24.96 seconds to once again qualify for the finals on Saturday.
- Senior Sarah Miller (Hanover, Mass. / Hanover) placed ninth in the long jump with a leap of 5.57 meters, only 0.03 meters out of eighth.
- Assumption returns to action tomorrow for the second day of the NEICAAA Championships, hosted by Southern Connecticut.