- Event: Sorlein Invitational
- Location: Mackal Field House (Kingston, R.I.)
- The Lead: Assumption had seven top-six finishers in a tough field of numerous Division I programs on Saturday at the Sorlein Invitational at URI.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Emily Casella (Athol, Mass. / Athol) came through with a sixth place finish in the shot put with a distance of 12.48 meters. Roxann Wint (Boston, Mass. / Newton North) earned a ninth place finish with a distance of 11.38 meters. Casella then took 13th in the weight throw in a toss of 13.38 meters. Freshman Megan Sheehan (Newton, N.H. / Sanborn Regional) had the best finish in the weight throw with her distance of 14.06 meters to take ninth.
- In the long jump, senior Sarah Miller (Hanover, Mass. / Hanover) posted a jump of 5.34 meters to take fifth while Katherine Eckerson (Simsbury, Conn. / Westminster School) placed 11th in 5.05 meters. Miller then took eighth in the triple jump with her distance of 10.69 meters. Nicole McMorrow (Milford, N.H. / Milford) was the top Assumption finisher in the event, placing sixth with a jump of 10.86 meters.
- Freshman Victoria Steffon (Holden, Mass. / Wachusett Regional) placed sixth in the 60 meters, finishing in 7.99 seconds while Claudia Koontz (Concord, Mass. / Concord-Carlisle) took 13th in 8.17 seconds.
- Junior Kialeigh Marston (Standish, Maine / Bonny Eagle) was the top Division II finisher in the mile and second overall with her time of 5:16.96. In the 800 meters, Liz Letizio (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) placed 13th in 2:27.31. Madeleine Iassogna (Marietta, Ga. / Blessed Trinity Catholic), meanwhile, took seventh in the 400 meters in a time of 1:03.39 while Maura Geoghegan (Foxborough, Mass. / Foxborough) placed 11th in 1:03.87.
- In the 3000 meters, Assumption had three finishers in the top-10, led by Tressa Novack (Scotch Plains, NJ / Union Catholic) in fourth with a time of 10:55.88. Freshman Grace Corbett (Merrimack, N.H / Merrimack) placed sixth in 11:01.57 while classmate Sydney McCann (South Dennis, Mass. / Dennis-Yarmouth) was ninth in 11:29.55.
- The 4x400 relay came through with a seventh place finish, completing the event in 4:12.93. Emma Santee (Westerly, R.I. / Westerly) led off, followed by Geoghegan, Letizio and Iassogna.
- The team returns to action on Jan. 25 when they take part in John Thomas Terrier Classic at Boston University.