- Score: Assumption 3, Bloomfield 0
- Records: Assumption (1-0-0, 0-0-0 NE10), Bloomfield (0-1-0, 0-0-0 CACC)
- Location: Worcester, Mass (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Three Assumption goalies combined for the shutout, Morgan Paquin (Mapleville, R.I. / Lasalle Academy / Sacred Heart) scored her first goal as a Greyhound and two more added their first collegiate point as the Greyhounds defeated the Bloomfield Bears 3-0 in the season opener for both teams.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
-Paquin's goal came at the 31:07 mark to put the Hounds up 2-0. Freshman Addison Davis (Bristol, Conn. / Saint Paul Catholic High School) put the ball out front and Paquin received the pass and split two defenders to put the ball into the lower left part of the net.
-Assumption then used three goalkeepers to preserve the shutout win. Katie Hammer (Greenlawn, N.Y. / Harborfields) relieved Alexis Nason (Saco, Maine / Thornton Academy) at the start of the second half and made two out of three of the team's saves. Allie Perry (Richmond, R.I. / The Prout School) finished the game without needing to make a save.
-Annie Irwin (Norwood, Mass. / Montrose School) was the first of the three newcomers to put a point on the board. At the 10:50 mark of the first half, Irwin sent a pass right out front to Diana Bruggeman (Natick, Mass. / Natick). Bruggeman put the ball home from about seven yards out to score the first goal of the game. Alexis Stowell (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) scored Assumption's final goal at the 86:35 mark when she turned a shot off the post by teammate Victoria Stowell (Franklin, Mass. / Franklin) into a rebound goal out front.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
-Assumption held a 25-6 shot advantage, while Bruggeman and Alexis Stowell shared a team-high five shots. Emily Quiroz led the bears with two shots.
-Assumption led 5-3 in corner kicks, including a 3-2 advantage in the first-half.
-Mia Phillip, a freshman making her first collegiate start, made seven saves, but earned the loss. Nason earned the win while making one save. Hammer also made two saves for the Hounds.
- The Hounds will host American International next Friday, September 13, at 7 p.m. in the team's first conference game of the year.