- Score: Bentley 80, Assumption 73
- Records: Bentley (18-7, 13-4 NE10), Assumption (13-13, 7-11 NE10)
- Location: Waltham, Mass. (Dana Center)
- The Lead: After a tough start in the first quarter, the Hounds fought their way back to tie the game in the fourth quarter and take a two-point lead before the Falcons forced overtime. The Falcons controlled overtime and the Hounds fell 80-73.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Bentley jumped out to a 10-0 run before Ja'Lyn Armstrong (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) made a layup to stop the Falcons momentum. The Hounds later rallied for seven straight points to get within three (12-9) with 1:13 left in the first quarter. One more basket for the Falcons would end the quarter with Bentley up 14-9.
- A 4-0 run followed by a 5-0 run from the Falcons extended their lead to 23-12 with 6:54 on the clock. Two free throws from Anna Shaughnessy (Attleboro Falls, Mass./Bishop Feehan) followed by a three from Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) and two more points from Shaughnessy gave the Hounds a 7-0 run to get within four (23-19) with 4:26 left in the half. Five consecutive points for the Falcons ended the second quarter with Bentley up 28-19.
- Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) kickstarted the third quarter with a quick layup to get the Hounds within seven (28-21). The Falcons answered with back-to-back threes before Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) completed the three-point play to get the Hounds within ten (34-24) with 7:32 left in the quarter. The back-and-forth action started with Capacchione scoring the next eight points for the Hounds to get them within nine (40-31) with 5:16 on the clock. The Falcons later went on a 5-0 run to take one of their larger leads of the game of 15 (48-33) before Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) hit a three to jumpstart the Hounds. Assumption finished the quarter with an 8-0 run themselves to get within seven (48-41) heading into the final ten minutes.
- Armstrong made the first points of the fourth quarter but was quickly answered with four-straight points from the Falcons. Another 8-0 run for Assumption got the Hounds within one (52-51) with just 6:37 left to play. Later a layup from Reen and a Shaughnessy free throw tied the game at 54 apiece with 4:03 on the clock. Shaughnessy tied the game up again at 56 apiece just under a minute later before the Hounds tied the game up for a third time at 58 each at the 2:03 mark. A three from Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus) gave Assumption their first lead of the game (61-59) with just 1:23 left in the game. With a minute left the Falcons made a layup to send the game to overtime.
- Bentley was the first on the board in overtime with a layup just 39 seconds in. The Falcons then put together an 8-0 run of free throws and layups to take a 72-63 lead with 1:56 remaining. The two teams began trading baskets and the Hounds were forced to foul for possession at the end but were unable to make up ground and fell 80-73.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Capacchione led the Hounds with a career-high 30 points with two rebounds, three assists and four steals in the game. Reen put in 13 points with four rebounds and six assists while Poulin added eight points.
- The Hounds shot 31.2 percent from the floor, 41.7 percent from three and 93.8 percent from the foul line while adding 32 rebounds, 18 assists, 11 steals and two blocks.
- The Falcons ended the night shooting 48.2 percent from the field, 35.0 percent from beyond the arc and 86.4 percent from the free throw line while contributing 50 rebounds, 19 assists, seven steals and three blocks.
- The Hounds are back home on Tuesday, February 25, against Franklin Pierce at 5:30 p.m. for senior day.