- Score: Assumption 72, Southern N.H. 70
- Records: Assumption (12-11, 6-9 NE10), Southern N.H. (13-10, 6-9 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H.
- The Lead: A layup in the final seconds from Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus) leads Assumption past Southern N.H. 72-70 in overtime.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds opened the game with a 4-0 run before Southern N.H. answered with five-straight to take a 5-4 lead at the 5:59 mark. A three from Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) put Assumption back in the lead 7-5 before the Penmen strung together a 5-0 and 6-0 run to end the quarter leading 21-13.
- Back-to-back threes from Capacchione followed by a layup from Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) tied the game at 21 apiece forcing the Penmen to take a timeout with 5:49 left in the half. A couple free throws and five points from the Penmen ended the half with Southern N.H. back in the lead 28-23.
- Post play came alive in the second half for the Hounds with three post players scoring for a 6-0 run for Assumption to take a 29-28 lead with 7:44 on the clock. The Penmen answered with seven consecutive points themselves to earn a six-point lead (35-29). The two teams traded threes before Assumption hit three in a row for a nine-point streak to take a 41-38 lead with 3:14 left in the third quarter. The back-and-forth action started again and ended the third quarter with the Hounds leading 45-44.
- A quick 12-0 run to start the fourth quarter gave the Penmen a significant advantage up 56-45 with just 6:12 on the clock. Assumption started scoring shortly after to start the trading of baskets before the Hounds string together 11 points with the final six being free throws to tie the game at 61 and send it to overtime.
- The back-and-forth action continued into overtime before the Hounds scored seven-straight to take a three-point lead (70-67) with just one-minute left to play. A three-point play for the Penmen tied the game again at 70 apiece. The Hounds came out of a timeout and in the final seconds Poulin had a back door cut and made the layup before the buzzer to win the game for the Hounds 72-70.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Capacchione led the Hounds with 24 points and five rebounds while Poulin put up 13 points and Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) scored 11 points with 10 rebounds. Reen added six points, seven rebounds and seven assists on the win.
- The Hounds shot 36.1 percent from the floor, 37.5 percent from three-point land and 64.7 percent from the free throw line while contributing 45 rebounds, 16 assists, six steals and three blocks.
- The Penmen shot 45.0 percent from the field, 52.2 percent from beyond the arc and 66.7 percent from the charity stripe and added 38 rebounds, 15 assists, six steals and seven blocks.
- The Hounds are back home on Tuesday, February 11, against Saint Michael's at 5:30 p.m.