- Score: Saint Anselm 63, Assumption 54
- Records: Saint Anselm (16-4, 12-2 NE10), Assumption (11-11, 5-9 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption led the Hawks after the first quarter and kept the game close until Saint Anselm's offense sparked and the Hounds ran out of time and fell 63-54.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first quarter started with back-and-forth action with their being four ties before the Hawks took a 12-11 lead at the 4:45 mark. The Hounds later went on a 5-0 run to take their largest lead of the game 17-14 with 1:54 left in the first. The Hawks answered with a 4-0 run themselves before Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) sunk three free throws to give Assumption a 20-18 lead headed into the second quarter.
- Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus) opened the second quarter with a three to extend Assumption's lead to five (23-18). Saint Anselm responded with five straight points to tie the game at 23 apiece before the back-and-forth action started up again. The Hawks strung together a 9-0 run to take a 39-30 lead before Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) hit a jumper in the final three seconds of the half for the Hawks to only lead 39-32 at the half.
- The Hawks opened the third quarter with a 4-0 streak before Reen answered for Assumption with her first three of the game. A 5-0 run for the Hawks extended their lead to 13 with just 5:04 left in the quarter. The Hounds answered with five consecutive points themselves to get within seven (48-41) with 1:33 on the clock. Two free throws for the Hawks ended the quarter with Saint Anselm ahead 50-41.
- The back-and-forth action reappeared in the fourth quarter until the Hawks went on a 4-0 run to take a nine-point lead (56-47) with just 4:53 left to play. Two free throws at the end from Falayi put the Hounds within nine, but they ran out of time and fell 62-54 to the Hawks.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Reen led the Hounds with 11 points and four rebounds while Falayi recorded nine points and 15 rebounds in the loss. Both Poulin and Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) put up eight points.
- As a team, the Hounds shot 28.6 percent from the floor, 29.4 percent from three and 86.7 percent from the foul line while recording 39 rebounds, seven assists and 11 steals.
- The Hawks shot 40.9 percent from the field, 35.7 percent from beyond the arc and 81.5 percent from the charity stripe while earning 34 rebounds with nine assists, nine steals and six blocks.
- Assumption is back on the road on Saturday, February 8, at Southern N.H. for a 1:30 p.m. tip-off.