- Score: Le Moyne 63, Assumption 54
- Records: Le Moyne (13-7, 9-4 NE10), Assumption (11-10, 5-8 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: The Hounds jumped out to a great start only to have the Dolphins crawl into the lead. Assumption battled back to lead early in the fourth quarter, but ran out of steam and fell to Le Moyne 63-54.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption started off the game with back-to-back threes from Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus) and Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) to give the Hounds an early 6-0 lead. The two teams traded baskets until the Dolphins put together a 6-0 run to get within one (9-8) with 3:38 left in the first quarter. A layup from Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) put Assumption up 11-9 before Le Moyne scored four-straight to take the 12-11 lead. A three from Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) put the Hounds up 14-12 before two free throws for the Dolphins tied the game at 14 apiece with 52 seconds left in the first quarter. The Dolphins hit a three in the final seconds of the first quarter to take a 17-16 lead.
- The second quarter started with back-and-forth action with neither team scoring more than three-points in a row with the game being tied at 17, 19 and 22 before Le Moyne went on an 11-0 run to head into halftime ahead 33-24.
- The Dolphins opened the second half with a three to take a 12-point lead (36-24) before the trading of baskets started again. Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) made back-to-back layups to get the Hounds within eight (40-32) with 5:27 left in the third. The Hounds later put together a 7-0 run to lessen the Dolphins lead to three (42-39) with 2:20 on the clock. The Hounds battled to the end of the quarter to stay within three (46-43) heading into the final ten minutes.
- Assumption started the fourth quarter with momentum and scored six-straight points to take a 49-46 lead. Le Moyne answered with an 8-0 run to take back the lead (54-49) with 5:04 left to play. Poulin stopped the Dolphins' momentum with a jumper only to be answered with a three just a minute later. The Hounds were unable to string enough points together and eventually fell to the Dolphins 63-54.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Poulin led the Hounds with 13 points while both Capacchione and Falayi recorded ten points apiece. Capacchione also recorded three rebounds, two assists and one steal while Falayi earned nine rebounds, one assist and one block.
- The Hounds shot 35.2 percent from the floor, 22.7 percent from three and 60.0 percent from the foul line while adding 33 rebounds, 11 assists and seven steals.
- Le Moyne shot 47.8 percent from the field, 36.0 percent from beyond the arc and 83.3 percent from the free throw line and recorded 34 rebounds, 14 assists, two steals and four blocks.
- The Hounds are back home on Wednesday, February 5, against Saint Anselm for a 5:30 p.m. start.