- Score: Assumption 68, Southern Connecticut 52
- Records: Assumption (11-9, 5-7 NE10), Southern Connecticut (8-12, 2-10 NE10)
- Location: New Haven, Conn. (James Moore Fieldhouse)
- The Lead: A 12-0 run in the first quarter set the tone for the Hounds who held the lead the rest of the game and took home the 68-52 victory over Southern Connecticut.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Owls made the first basket of the game only to be answered by the Hounds with a 12-0 run to take a 12-3 lead with just 6:08 left to play in the first quarter. Southern Connecticut notched another three before Assumption scored seven more unanswered points to extend their lead to 13 (19-6). Both teams traded baskets with the Hounds ending the quarter with four straight points to hold a 25-10 lead heading into the second quarter.
- Southern Connecticut opened the second quarter with a 15-point run to tie the game at 27 apiece with just 3:11 left in the half. Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus) slowed the Owls with a jump shot to secure Assumption's lead. Poulin struck again in the last 30 seconds of the half to put the Hounds up 32-29 at the half.
- Both teams came out hot in the second half trading baskets for the first five minutes of the half. Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) started a spree for Assumption with two free throws and another one later paired with two from Ja'Lym Armstrong (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) put the Hounds up 43-35 with 2:12 left to play in the third. Each team scored a basket before the quarter ran out, giving Assumption a 46-37 lead heading into the final ten minutes.
- The fourth quarter started similarly to the third with both teams scoring baskets before the Hounds put together a Poulin three and a Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) layup for five-straight to take a 15-point lead with just 4:05 left to play. Four more unanswered points for Assumption gave them their largest lead of the game (17) with just 2:23 on the clock. Reen and Falayi scored five more together and a final layup from Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) sealed the 68-52 victory for the Hounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Both Poulin and Capacchione led the Hounds with 16 points apiece while Capacchione added five rebounds, four assists and a steal in the game. Falayi recorded another double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds.
- The Hounds shot 46.4 percent from the floor, 41.2 percent from beyond the arc and 69.2 percent from the free throw line while recording 47 rebounds, 12 assists, six steals and two blocks.
- The Owls were led by Imani Wheeler who scored 26 points while the team shot 32.3 percent from the field, 20.0 percent from three and 87.5 percent from the charity stripe. Southern Connecticut also added 28 rebounds, 10 assists and 11 steals in the game.
- Assumption is back at home on Saturday, February 1, when they host NE10 opponent, Le Moyne at 1:30 p.m. The Hounds will be having their annual Play4Kay game where donations can be made. The team encourages everyone to wear pink to the event.