- Score: Saint Anselm 68, Assumption 51
- Records: Saint Anselm (9-3, 5-1 NE10), Assumption (9-5, 3-3 NE10)
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Stoutenburgh Gym)
- The Lead: In a difficult conference battle, the Hounds stayed within ten until the fourth quarter when the Hawks pulled away and took the 68-51 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hawks opened up the game with four straight points followed by a six-point run to take an early 10-2 lead. Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) scored the next four-points for Assumption to get the Hounds back within four with 5:41 on the clock. A three-point play for the Hawks took the lead back to seven (13-6) before Ja'Lyn Armstrong (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) made a layup to keep Assumption within five. The two teams traded baskets until the Hounds were able to get two consecutive trips to the foul line where they made all four to get themselves within three (19-16) at the end of the first quarter.
- A three from the Hawks started the second quarter only for Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) to sink a three of her own to spark another two from Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) to put the Hounds within one (22-21) just under three minutes into the second quarter. Saint Anselm answered with their own 5-0 run to extend their lead to six before Reen struck again with another three to lessen the lead to 27-24. A 6-0 run for Saint Anselm put the Hawks up 33-24 with just 4:16 left in the half before the back-and-forth action began to end the half with Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) making a layup in the final 20 seconds to get the Assumption within eight (36-28) at the half.
- The Hounds opened the second half with back-to-back threes from Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus) and Capacchione to lessen the Hawks' lead to four (38-34). Saint Anselm responded with a 4-0 run with Poulin stopping their momentum with a jumper. The final six minutes of the third quarter consisted of the two teams trading baskets with Saint Anselm up ten (53-43) heading into the last ten minutes of the game.
- The back-and-forth scoring continued into the fourth quarter with the Hawks being the first to record a 4-0 run to give them the largest lead of the game (59-45) with 6:41 on the clock. The Hounds continued to battle trading baskets with the Hawks before Saint Anselm ended the game with four made free throws to earn the 68-51 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Capacchione led the Hounds with 20 points and five rebounds while Reen added ten points, three assists and two steals. Falayi led in rebounds with nine followed by Golden with eight rebounds and four points.
- As a team, the Hounds shot 29.2 percent from the floor, 27.8 percent from three and 66.7 percent from the foul line while tallying 39 rebounds, nine assists, seven steals and four blocks.
- The Hawks were led by Shannon Ryan with 24 points and 23 rebounds and as a team, they shot 42.2 percent from the field, 11.1 percent from beyond the arc and 65.0 percent from the charity stripe. The Hawks also gathered 51 rebounds, 16 assists, two steals and eight blocks.
- The Hounds are back on the road Saturday, January 11, at Saint Rose for a 1:30 p.m. tip-off.