- Score: Assumption 72, Mercy 59
- Records: Assumption (9-4, 3-2 NE10), Mercy (6-8, 0-3 ECC)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption starts strong followed by a lull in the second quarter to come out aggressively in the second half and earn their second win of 2020 by defeating Mercy 72-59.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds took and early 3-0 lead with a layup and a free throw only to have the Mavericks storm ahead with six straight points. A three from Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus) tied the game up at six apiece before Mercy scored four more to jump ahead 10-6 with 5:49 left in the first quarter. After a 30 second timeout for the Hounds, Assumption came out and put together an 8-0 run to take a four-point lead (14-10) with back-to-back threes from Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) and Monica Spain (Braintree, Mass./Archbishop Williams). The Mavericks rallied with a quick three to get back within one (14-13) with 2:47 on the clock before Poulin knocked down another three to put the Hounds up 17-14. Another three from Mercy and a basket for each team to end out the first quarter with the Hounds ahead 19-17.
- The second quarter started at the 8:02 mark with an Assumption layup that sparked a 10-0 run for the Mavericks to now lead 27-21 with just 5:10 left in the first half. Golden ended the scoring spree for Mercy with a layup only to have the Mavericks put another basket in. Poulin scored the final points of the half with a fastbreak layup with 57 seconds on the clock to end the half with Mercy leading 29-25.
- In the third quarter, Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) and Poulin paired up for a 5-0 run to put Assumption up 30-29. Two free throws for Mercy gave the Mavericks the one-point advantage (31-30) before the Hounds strung together four points to take a three-point lead (34-31) with 7:50 on the clock. The two teams traded threes to keep Assumption ahead by three (37-34) with 7:12 remaining in the third quarter. The back-and-forth action continued until the 2:40 mark when the Hounds scored five unanswered points for a six-point lead (50-44) and had another 5-0 run to end the quarter and give Assumption a 55-46 lead headed into the fourth quarter.
- The Hounds scored the first basket of the fourth quarter just 12 seconds into play and later scored four-straight to extend their lead to 61-49 with just 6:19 to play. Both teams hit a pair of free throws with Mercy putting in a layup to get within eight (63-55) with 3:25 left in the game. Four made free throws for the Hounds extended their lead to 12 (67-55) followed by a jumper and a free throw from Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) would get Assumption up 14 (70-56) for the largest lead of the game with only 1:26 to go. A pair of free throws from Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) would end the game for the Hounds to earn a 72-59 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Poulin led the Hounds with a career-high 19 points going 5-for-7 from three-point land and 6-for-11 from the floor. Capacchione tallied 13 points and seven rebounds while both Golden and Falayi tacked on 11 points and seven rebounds apiece. Reen led the team with eight assists and added eight points.
- As a team, the Hounds shot 38.7 percent from the field, 52.4 percent from beyond the arc, and 81.3 percent from the foul line. They also tallied 36 rebounds, 20 assists and five steals.
- The Mavericks shot 39.6 percent from the floor, 33.3 percent from three and 72.7 percent from the free throw line while earning 35 rebounds, 10 assists and four steals.
- The Hounds hit the road on Wednesday, January 8, headed to Saint Anselm for a 5:30 p.m. start.