- Score: Assumption 82, Dominican 67
- Records: Assumption (8-4, 3-2 NE10), Dominican (4-9, 2-2 ECAC)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: With five Hounds scoring double-digits, Assumption defeated Dominican 82-67 for their first win of 2020.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds opened with a fast break layup right off the tip accompanied by another layup for an early 4-0 lead over the Chargers. Dominican answered with layup of their own only for Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) to sink a three just 16 seconds later. Assumption put up two more points before the Chargers went on a 9-0 run to take an 11-9 lead with just 5:12 left in the first quarter. The Chargers kept the lead the rest of the quarter after the Hounds tied it up at 11 apiece and Dominican led 21-15 after the first ten minutes of play.
- Assumption came out strong in the second quarter scoring six straight points to cut Dominican's lead to three (26-23) with 7:25 left in the half. It was back-and-forth action until the 3:27 mark when the Hounds took control and went on an 11-0 run to take a nine-point lead (39-30) heading into halftime.
- Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus High School) opened the second half with a three to give Assumption a 42-30 lead. The Hounds later scored four unanswered points to extend their lead to 14 (48-34), the largest lead of the game. The Chargers answered by putting together a 7-0 run to get within seven (50-43) before Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) sunk two free throws to put the Hounds up nine heading into the final ten minutes of play.
- The Hounds started the fourth quarter with five straight points to lead 59-43. Dominican hit a two before Capacchione swished a three to kickstart a 7-0 run to put Assumption up 66-45 with just 5:40 left to play. The Chargers later scored six unanswered points to get within 14 (70-56) before Assumption answered with five straight to keep a 77-58 lead with 2:38 on the clock. Dominican scored four points in the final two minutes but were unable to bridge the gap and the Hounds earned an 82-64 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Capacchione led the Hounds with 21 points and six rebounds while both Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) and Poulin recorded 15 points apiece. Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) earned a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds while Reen also earned a double-double of 10 points and 11 assists.
- As a team, the Hounds shot 49.2 percent from the floor, 46.2 percent from three and 80.0 percent from the free throw line while recording 46 rebounds, 20 assists, and nine steals.
- The Chargers shot 38.7 percent from the field, 17.6 percent from beyond the arc and 66.7 percent from the foul line and earned 30 rebounds, 13 assists, and 13 steals.
- The Hounds host Mercy on Sunday, January 5, at 3 p.m.