- Score: Assumption 60, District of Columbia 51
- Records: Assumption (7-4, 3-2 NE10), District of Columbia (3-10, 0-1 ECC)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
- The Lead: In a strong defensive battle, the Hounds came out victorious outscoring the Firebirds 15-9 in the second quarter and 18-13 in the third to earn the 60-51 non-conference win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both teams played lock-down defense to start the game with neither team scoring in the first three minutes of play. The Firebirds broke that with a fastbreak layup followed by another layup to put them up 4-0 with 5:43 left in the first quarter. Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus High School) answered for Assumption with a three and Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) put the Hounds ahead with a layup (5-4). The Firebirds responded with a quick four-points to regain the lead (8-5) with just 3:39 left in the first quarter. Both teams ended the first ten minutes of play with a pair of free throws for District of Columbia to have a three-point lead (10-7) headed into the second quarter.
- Monica Spain (Braintree, Mass./Archbishop Williams) evened the playing field at the 8:28 mark of the second quarter when she sunk a three that then led to a three from Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass./Millis) to earn the Hounds the 13-10 lead. After trading baskets, the Hounds went on a 5-0 run to take a six-point lead (20-14) with 4:24 left in the half. The Firebirds knocked down a three with 1:06 on the clock and Lauren Hammersley (Garden City, N.Y./Our Lady of Mercy Academy) swished a free throw to give Assumption the 22-19 lead at half.
- Falayi scored the first basket of the second half to put the Hounds ahead five (24-19) before the Firebirds answered with a quick two. The back-and-forth action continued until 4:28 left in the quarter when the Hounds went on a 6-0 run led by Poulin and Brianna Capacchione (Washington Township, N.J./Washington Township) to give Assumption a nine-point lead, their largest lead of the game (35-26). Capacchione ended the quarter for the Hounds with a layup to put them up eight (40-32) heading into the final ten minutes of play.
- Assumption opened the fourth quarter with a 4-0 run for a 12-point lead (44-32) just one-minute into the fourth quarter. District of Columbia responded with their own 5-0 run to get back within seven (44-37) before the Hounds put together seven straight points for a 51-37 lead with just 4:03 left to play. After a quick layup from the Firebirds, Assumption scored four more points for a 55-39 lead with 2:23 on the clock. The Firebirds got back within 11 (55-44) with a 5-0 run. The two teams traded baskets the final minute of play with the Firebirds making a three in the last eight seconds of play only for the Hounds to come out victorious with the 60-51 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Capacchione led all scoring with 16 points and added seven rebounds while Poulin had a career-high 13 points. Falayi grabbed 16 rebounds while Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass./Norwood) recorded five assists.
- As a team, the Hounds shot 36.0 percent from the field, 31.6 percent from beyond the arc and 66.7 percent from the foul line while earning 37 rebounds, 12 assists and seven steals.
- The Firebirds ended the game shooting 31.6 percent from the floor, 26.3 percent from three and 76.9 percent from the free throw line while adding 39 rebounds, four assists and eight steals.
- The Hounds are back home on Thursday, January 2, to kick off the New Year with a 5:30 p.m. game against Dominican.