- Score: Molloy 67, Assumption 51
- Records: Molloy (3-1), Assumption (2-2)
- Location: Rockville Center, N.Y. (Quealy Gymnasium)
- The Lead: After being down at halftime, the Hounds came out in the third quarter to outscore Molloy by ten points, but ran out of steam in the fourth quarter and fell 67-51 to the Lions.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds had a 3-2 lead before the Lions went on an 8-0 run to take a 10-3 lead with 5:55 left in the first quarter. Monica Spain (Braintree, Mass./Archbishop Williams) answered for Assumption with a three-pointer to get Assumption within four (10-6). Molloy ended the quarter with another 8-0 run to earn a 21-9 lead headed into the second quarter.
- The two teams traded baskets in the first few minutes of the second quarter before the Lions scored six straight points to extend their lead to 16 (31-15) with just 3:37 left in the first half. Spain and Emme Poulin (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus High School) teamed up for four unanswered points for the Hounds to make the score 31-19. Molloy scored the final three points of the quarter to lead 34-19 headed into halftime.
- Assumption started the second half with an 8-0 run themselves to get within nine of the Lions (36-27) with 7:49 left in the third quarter. Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary's) made four free throws paired up with an Addie Masonius (Spring Lake, N.J./Manasquan) layup to get the Hounds within six (39-33) with 4:27 remaining in the third quarter. It was back-and-forth action the remainder of the third quarter with the Lions earning a five-point lead (43-38) heading into the final ten minutes of play.
- The Lions opened the fourth quarter with a 9-0 run to take a 14-point lead (52-38) with 6:21 left to play. Spain scored four-straight to get the Hounds within ten (52-42) with just 5:17 left to play. Molloy answered with seven consecutive points to earn a 17-point lead (59-42) with only 3:20 on the clock. The rest of the game the two teams traded baskets with the Lions coming out on top with a 67-51 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Spain le the team with 17 points, nine rebounds, one block and three steals while Falayi contributed nine points and eight rebounds.
- Assumption shot 32.0 percent from the floor, 23.5 percent from three and 62.5 percent from the foul line with 42 rebounds, seven assists and nine steals.
- Molloy ended the game shooting 41.4 percent from the floor, 31.3 percent from beyond the arc and 82.4 percent at the free throw line while recording 33 rebounds, 12 assists, seven blocks and 12 steals.
- Assumption finally has their home opener on Saturday, November 23, against Southern N.H. for a conference game at 1:30 p.m.