- The Score: Assumption 71, Caldwell 47
- Records: Assumption (7-3), Caldwell (2-6)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption opened the game on a 13-2 run and were locked in defensively all afternoon as they frustrated Caldwell on the way to an impressive 71-46 victory over the Cougars on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds jumped out to a 13-2 lead in the first four minutes of action, including eight points from Morgan O'Donnell (Easton, Mass. / Ursuline Academy). Caldwell managed to close it to 15-7, but Assumption ended the period on a 6-2 run, capped off by a Meghan Reen (Norwood, Mass. / Norwood) triple for a 21-9 advantage.
- Eight straight points by the Hounds stretched their lead to 29-9 on a Jordan Hawkins (Glen Burnie, Md. / Glen Burnie) layup at 6:49 of the period. However, their offense went cold and they scored just two more points as Caldwell was able to close the gap to 31-16 at the half.
- Assumption pushed its lead back to 20 points just two minutes into the third on a Meghan Cramb (New Boston, N.H. / Bishop Guertin) layup and led the Cougars 43-24 midway through the period. Hawkins made a layup for the 21-point lead, which started a 10-2 run and gave the Hounds a 53-26 lead going into the final period.
- In the fourth, Assumption stretched its lead as high as 33 points before a late run by Caldwell cut the deficit to 23 points. The Hounds finished off the contest with the 24-point win on a Katherine Golden (Millis, Mass. / Millis) free throw in the final 30 seconds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 44.4 percent from the field on the contest, but just 4-for-17 from beyond the arc. However, the Hounds held Caldwell to just 27.3 percent shooting overall and 3-for-16 from downtown. Assumption did turn the ball over 25 times, but dished off 17 assists on their 28 field goals while also owning a 59-30 rebounding edge.
- O'Donnell posted a double-double of 18 points and ten rebounds in just 17 minutes of action, while Hawkins came through with 11 points, six boards and three blocks. Temi Falayi (Peabody, Mass./St. Mary Lynn's) added seven points, 11 rebounds, three assists and two rejections.
- Alessia Smaldone led Caldwell with 15 points, five rebounds and five steals while Tina Lebron has 11 points but shot just 4-for-15 in the contest.
- The Hounds are on the road on Tuesday, December 18, at Franklin Pierce for a conference matchup at 5:30 p.m.