- Score: Assumption 6, Ferris State 3 (Game One);
- Records: Assumption (3-6), Ferris State (), Bloomfield
- Location: Auburndale, Fla.
- The Lead: The Hounds end the Spring Games with two 6-3 victories over Ferris State and Bloomfield with a total of 19 hits on the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./Chelsea) started the game with three consecutive strikeouts after a runner made it to first to spark the momentum heading into the bottom of the first inning where Jordan Dwyer (Coventry, R.I./Coventry) singled up the middle of the field as the leadoff batter. Dwyer then advanced to second on a passed ball to put herself into scoring position before Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) bunted the ball back at the pitcher and beat out the throw to move Dwyer to third. Murphy stole second right before Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) hit a shot to right center for a double and to score both Murphy and Dwyer to give the Hounds a 2-0 lead after the first.
- The Hounds rallied again in the bottom of the third with Beaton on third, Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) on second and Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) on first with Allison Ainley (Rehoboth, Mass./Dighton-Rehoboth Regional) at the plate. Ainley had a sacrifice fly to right field to score Beaton and move everyone over a base. Gianna Russo (North Haven, Conn./North Haven) stepped up to the plate and hit a hard ball to the shortstop and outran the ball to be safe at first and score Peabody from third. Bialakis put the ball in play to force an error and get on base and score Richards to put the Hounds up 5-0 after three.
- In the bottom of the fifth, another sacrifice fly from Ainley brought Abigail Duggan (West Roxbury, Mass./Mount Alvernia High School) home for Assumption to lead 6-0. The Bulldogs came alive in the top of the sixth scoring three runs in their attempt at a comeback, but Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) stepped onto the mound and finished the game for Assumption to come out victorious 6-3.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nowicki pitched 5.2 innings with six strikeouts, seven walks and three hits in the win while Patriacca earned the save with 1.1 innings pitched.
- Beaton and Ainley both recorded two RBIs with Ainley earning two sacrifice flies while Russo and Bialakis both tallied an RBI apiece. Murphy, Beaton and Duggan all recorded a stolen base.
- Richards led the Hounds going 2-for-3 at the plate while Beaton went 2-for-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Assumption jumped out to an early 2-0 lead when Dwyer started the game with a single through the left side as the leadoff batter. Murphy bunted her to second and then Beaton doubled to left center to put Dwyer on third and herself on second. Peabody doubled to left field to drive Dwyer and Beaton home for a 2-0 lead after the top of the first.
- In the top of the third, Peabody struck again with her first homer of the season to score the sole run and give the Hounds a 3-0 lead. Assumption rallied again in the top of the fifth with Beaton on third and Peabody on second. Both took advantage of a wild pitch and Beaton scored. Richards walked and ended up getting picked off diving back into first, but Peabody took home to earn the Hounds a 5-0 lead after five innings.
- In the top of the sixth, the Hounds scored one more with Beaton on second and Peabody back at the plate. Peabody rifled a ball to right center for a single to score Beaton for a 6-0 lead. The Bears responded with three runs in the bottom of the sixth but couldn't score anymore for the Hounds to take a 6-3 victory over Bloomfield.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Patriacca won the game with two strikeouts and six hits with a total of 53 pitches thrown throughout the game to 28 batters.
- Beaton, Peabody and Shelby all recorded a double while Peabody recorded the only homerun of the game with four RBIs.
- Peabody led the team going 3-for-3 at the plate while Beaton went 2-for-3 and Dwyer and Lindsay went 2-for-4 in the box.