- Score: Assumption 8, Upper Iowa 0 (Game One); Augustana 8, Assumption 0 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (2-5), Upper Iowa (5-10), Augustana (16-3)
- Location: Winter Haven, Fla.
- The Lead: The Assumption jumped out to a quick 5-0 lead after three innings of the first game and ended the game in the bottom of the fifth after being up 8-0. The Hounds did not have the same momentum in the second game and fell 8-0 in five innings to the defending national champions.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- The Hounds came out ready to play and jumped out on Upper Iowa with Jordan Dwyer (Coventry, R.I./Coventry) singling to the right side and being moved to second on a sacrifice bunt from Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) to get into scoring position. Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) doubled up the middle to score Dwyer and earn a 1-0 lead after one inning.
- In the third inning, Assumption rallied for four runs with Dwyer getting the action started again with a single up the middle followed by stealing second and then advancing to third on the throw. Upper Iowa attempted to get Dwyer out at home, but she slid to safety while Murphy reached first. Beaton singled up the middle to move Murphy to third and then took second on the throw to have two runners in scoring position with no outs and Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) up to bat. Peabody hit a hard grounder at second forcing an error and scoring both Murphy and Beaton. Later with two outs, Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) stepped up to the plate and singled through the right side to score Peabody and earn the Hounds a 5-0 lead after three.
- Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) sparked Assumption in the bottom of the fifth when she singled to left field followed by Allison Ainley (Rehoboth, Mass./Dighton-Rehoboth Regional) with a single to right center to move Richards to third with no outs. Abigail Duggan (West Roxbury, Mass./Mount Alvernia High School) came in to run the bases and stole second to put two runners in scoring position with Gianna Russo (North Haven, Conn./North Haven) stepping up to the plate. Russo hit the ball back to the pitcher and beat out the play while Duggan advanced to third and Richards slid right under the catcher to be safe at home.
- Bialakis struck again with a single up the middle to score Duggan before Shannon Delaney (Methuen, Mass./Methuen High School) came in to run. Dwyer ended the inning with a triple to right field to score Delaney and put the Hounds up 8-0 after five to defeat Upper Iowa.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) earned the win with 23 strikes thrown to 20 batters and only one walk and three hits.
- Dwyer, Murphy, Beaton, and Russo all recorded one RBI while Peabody and Bialakis each earned two while Beaton recorded the only double and Dwyer hit the only triple for the Hounds.
- Beaton led the team going 2-for-2 at the plate while Dwyer went 3-for-4 and Bialakis went 2-for-3. Dwyer led the Hounds with two hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Assumption started action in the top of the second when Peabody hit a single through the left side to get on base, but the Hounds were unable to hit her around and headed into the bottom of the second. Assumption held Augustana scoreless in the bottom of the second.
- In the third inning, Shelby Lindsay (New Durham, N.H./Kingswood Regional High School) got on base for the Hounds with a single up the middle and then Dwyer reached first on a fielder's choice. Murphy singled to second base before Dwyer got picked off between second and third to end the top of the inning. In the bottom of the third, Augustana singled to get a run in and then scored six more to go ahead 8-0.
- Neither team scored the remainder of the game while the Hounds fell 8-0 in five.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) took the loss with two walks with six hits and a total of 33 strikes while Giuliana Pierce (Pittsfield, Mass./Pittsfield) finished the game with one walk and four hits with 13 strikes.
- Lindsay led the Hounds going 1-for-1 at the plate while Murphy, Beaton, and Peabody all went 1-for-2.
- The Hounds are back in action tomorrow for a game against Ferris State at 9:15 a.m. and then Bloomfield at 1:30 p.m.