- Score: Slippery Rock 7, Assumption 6 (Game One); Bridgeport 5, Assumption 4 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (1-5), Slippery Rock (5-7), Bridgeport (4-4)
- Location: Winter Haven, Fla.
- The Lead: The bats were alive today for the Hounds scoring ten runs between two games, but Assumption came up short in both falling to Slippery Rock 7-6 and Bridgeport 5-4 in the final innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Assumption was the first team to get on the board when Marissa Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Tewksbury Regional High School) singled down the left field line to score Gianna Russo (North Haven, Conn./North Haven) and Abigail Duggan (West Roxbury, Mass./Mount Alvernia High School) to give the Hounds a 2-0 lead after the top of the fourth. Slippery Rock answered in the bottom of the fourth with two runs of their own off a single and stealing home base.
- Assumption's bats come to life in the top of the sixth when Doherty struck again with a double to right center to drive Russo back across home plate and advance Arianna Papas (Castleton, N.Y./Maple Hill) to third. Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) grounded out to second but sent Papas home and moved Doherty to third before Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) hit a sacrifice fly to centerfield to score Doherty and give Assumption a 5-2 lead. Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) came up to the plate and singled to the left side to score Jordan Dwyer (Coventry, R.I./Coventry) and earn the Hounds a 5-2 lead heading into the bottom of the sixth.
- The Lions recorded one run in the bottom of the sixth and held Assumption scoreless in the top of the seventh to be down 6-3 with the final half-inning to go. In the bottom of the seventh, Slippery Rock loaded the bases with no outs and ended up scoring four runs to win the game 7-6.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) took the loss after coming in partway through the seventh inning with 11 strikes thrown while Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) pitched the majority of the game with four strikeouts, one walk, five runs, seven hits and 71 total strikes thrown.
- Both Dwyer and Doherty recorded doubles in the game while Murphy, Beaton and Peabody all earned RBIs and Doherty led with three RBIs. Dwyer, Russo, Beaton and Papas all stole bases during the game.
- Russo made her mark in the game going 3-for-4 in the box while Doherty went 2-for-3 and Peabody went 2-for-4.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Once again Assumption jumped to an early lead in the bottom of the first when Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) doubled to left field to score Beaton and Peabody while moving Russo to third. Russo later scored on a wild pitch to earn the Hounds an early 3-0 lead after the first inning.
- Bridgeport tried to start a rally in the top of the second but ended up only scoring one run while holding the Hounds scoreless for the next three innings. The Purple Knights struck again in the top of the sixth when they scored four to take a 4-3 lead.
- Kali Scirocco (Upton, Mass./Nipmuc Regional) earned her first collegiate homerun to tie the game at four runs apiece. The Purple Knights answered back with a run in the top of the seventh to lead 5-4 and then held Assumption scoreless to earn the 5-4 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Nowicki took the loss in the final inning after facing five runners with 11 strikes. Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) started the game and recorded 42 strikes thrown while Barry also made an appearance and threw 13 strikes.
- Scirocco earned a homerun going 1-for-3 in the game while Bialakis recorded a double while also going 1-for-3 and recording two RBIs. Beaton recorded the solo stolen base while Russo led the team going 1-for-2 at the plate.
- The Hounds are back in action Wednesday, March 11, against Upper Iowa at 10:15 a.m. and Augustana at 12:30 p.m.