- Score: Urbana 1, Assumption 0 (Game One); Southwest Minnesota St. 11, Assumption 3 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (1-3), Urbana (4-2), Southwest Minnesota St. (2-5)
- Location: Auburndale, Fla.
- The Lead: The Hounds played well defensively for the majority of the first game, but fell 1-0 to Urbana before recording six hits in the 11-3 loss to Southwest Minnesota State.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- The Hounds went three and out at their first at bat while allowing Urbana to get the first batter on base. Assumption later ended the first inning with a double-play where Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) fielded a ground ball and threw the runner out at first where Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul II Academy) then turned the double-play to third where Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) tagged the runner coming from second to third out to end the inning and keep the Blue Knights from scoring.
- Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) was the first Hound to get on base with a walk in the second inning before Urbana turned up the defense to get back in the box. The Blue Knights were the first team to get a run across the plate in the bottom of the second with three hits to lead 1-0 after two innings.
- The Hounds held the Blue Knights to only two hits the rest of the game and recorded three hits themselves but were unable to get any runs across the plate and fell 1-0 to Urbana.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Guiliana Pierce (Pittsfield, Mass./Pittsfield) recorded the loss for Assumption with one strikeout and five hits in 2.1 innings. Erin Barry (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) finished the game with two strikeouts and one walk in 3.2 innings.
- Beaton recorded the only triple for her one hit of the game while Bialakis and Vimary Vega Betancourt (Lawrence, Mass./Lawrence) earned the other two hits of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Southwest Minnesota State scored their first run in the second inning followed by two more in the third and four in the fourth to lead 7-0 after four innings.
- Assumption responded in the bottom of the fourth with Beaton starting the action with a walk to get on first. Richards singled down the left field line to move Beaton to second with one out. Allison Ainley (Rehoboth, Mass./Dighton-Rehoboth Regional) recorded a hit to right field to load the bases. Shelby Lindsay (New Durham, N.H./Kingswood Regional High School) put a ball in play and forced an error at third to score Beaton for the Hounds' first run of the game. Gianna Russo (North Haven, Conn./North Haven) made her college debut with a single to center field that earned her an RBI and drove Ainley home to put the Hounds within five of the Mustangs.
- The Mustangs earned another run in the top of the fifth before the Hounds answered in the bottom of the sixth. Richards started the rally with a single down the left field line and was pinch ran for by Abigail Duggan (West Roxbury, Mass./Mount Alvernia High School). Duggan was later thrown out at second while Ainley reached first on a fielder's choice for one runner on and one out. Ainley stole second base to put herself in scoring position before Russo struck again to force an error and reach first and advance Ainley to third. Jordan Dwyer (Coventry, R.I./Coventry) forced another error to score Ainley and score the Hounds third run.
- Southwest Minnesota State turned around and earned three runs in the top of the seventh and held the Hounds scoreless to earn the 11-3 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) took the loss pitching 3.1 innings with four strikeouts, three walks and six hits. Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) finished the game with one walk and six hits.
- Russo earned the only RBI of the game while Ainley recorded the only stolen base and led the team with two runs.
- The Hounds are back in action tomorrow at 10 a.m. against Slippery Rock and again at 12:15 p.m. against Bridgeport.