- Score: Assumption 3, Bloomfield 0 (Game One); Felician 4, Assumption 3 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (1-1), Bloomfield (0-2), Felician (4-10)
- Location: Auburndale, Fla.
- The Lead: Assumption started slow but found momentum in the sixth inning of their game against Bloomfield to score three runs in the six and start the season with a 3-0 victory over Bloomfield. The Hounds had a similar start in the second game with Felician jumping out to a 1-0 lead and later extended it to 4-0 before Assumption got on the board, but eventually fell 4-3 to end the day 1-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Both Assumption and Bloomfield struggled to get anything going offensively for the first five innings of the game with each team only having two runners throughout that time. Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) claimed five strikeouts in that time while Taylor Gaylean of Bloomfield had recorded nine in the first five innings.
- In the bottom of the sixth, the Hounds came alive with Jordan Dwyer (Coventry, R.I./Coventry) making her college debut with earning a walk to get on base and then stealing second to put herself into scoring position. Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) singled to third base and then took second off a bad throw pushing Dwyer to third and then home on the throw to put Assumption up 1-0.
- Marissa Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Tewksbury Memorial High School) then reached first on an error and then ended up getting all the way home forcing Murphy across the plate and putting the Hounds up 3-0 with just one inning left to play. Nowicki forced a pop out and ground out before striking out the last batter to earn Assumption the 3-0 season opening win over Bloomfield.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nowicki earned the with a no-hitter in her first game of her junior season while recording nine strikeouts with 43 strikes thrown to 23 batters.
- Murphy recorded Assumption's only hit of the game going 1-for-3 at the plate while tallying an RBI. Doherty earned the other RBI while Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield), Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) and Dwyer all recorded stolen bases.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Felician was the first team on the board in the second inning when a string of errors by the Hounds allowed a run to cross the plate for an early 1-0 lead for the Golden Falcons.
- The action settled until the fifth inning when Assumption had Dwyer once again spark the energy by earning a walk to get on base. She then took second on a wild pitch before Beaton pushed her to third on a ground out. Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) then doubled to left center to send Dwyer across the plater and tie the game at one run apiece.
- Felician quickly answered in the bottom of the fifth with a single to second and then pushing the runner to second base with a sacrifice bunt. The Golden Falcons then took advantage of a wild pitch to cross home plate before a homerun drove in two more runs to put them up 4-1 with two innings to go.
- The Hounds started to rally in the top of the seventh when Dwyer singled to right field and then advanced to second on a wild pitch. Beaton then reached first on an error while Dwyer took third and then home with the error to put the Hounds within two (4-2). Beaton took advantage of a passed ball to take third and home to earn Assumption's third run to make the score 4-3 with two outs. Assumption was unable to get another run and fell 4-3 to Felician.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Abby Poirot of Felician earned the win with four strikeouts and five walks to 33 batters. Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) took the loss with three strikeouts and one walk to 21 batters.
- Peabody earned the only double and the only RBI of the game while also tallying a stolen base. Beaton recorded two stolen bases while Dwyer led the Hounds going 1-for-1 and scoring twice.
- The Hounds are back on the field tomorrow against Urbana at 2:30 p.m. followed by Southwest Minnesota State at 4:45 p.m.