- Score: Assumption 6, Saint Michael's 1
- Records: Assumption (22-20, 15-14 NE10), Saint Michael's (4-32, 3-22 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Marois Field)
- The Lead: Assumption jumped out to an early start and did not allow Saint Michael's any momentum to earn the 6-1 victory on senior day to advance themselves to the NE10 tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Hounds started the scoring off right in the first inning with Brooke Murphy (Salem N.H./Salem High School) earning first base with a walk and then stealing second followed by Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) also earning a walk and then both runners stealing a base to put runners on second and third with no outs. Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) earned a sacrifice fly when she flew out to centerfield to score Murphy and move Drakoulakos to third. With one out, Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) copied Beaton, but to right field and scored Drakoulakos to earn Assumption a 2-0 lead.
- Assumption struck again in the bottom of the third inning with Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) starting the rally with a single right up the middle of the field. Mazzeo then stole second and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Murphy singled to first base and then stole second to have two runners in scoring position with no outs. Drakoulakos grounded out to third base, but hit in Mazzeo and moved Murphy to third. With a 3-0 lead and a runner on third with only one out, Beaton doubled to left field to score Murphy and extend Assumption's lead to four (4-0). Beaton then took third on a wild pitch before Peabody hit her in with a ground out to second base. The Hounds had a 5-0 lead headed into the fourth inning.
- In the top of the fourth, Saint Michael's had a rally that started with a single to left field followed by a single up the middle of the field. A ground out advanced runners and the Purple Knights had runners on second and third with only one out. Emily Lanci reached first on an error that scored Danielle Markowski to earn Saint Michael's their first run of the game and lessen Assumption's lead to four (5-1).
- Assumption scored one last time in the bottom of the sixth when Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) singled through the right side of the field. Ally Hinojosa (Revere, Mass./Revere High School) pinch ran for Mirabell and was moved to second base on a ground out. Hinojosa then took advantage of a passed ball and advanced to third with only one out. Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) hit her home to earn the Hounds a 6-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) earned the win pitching all seven innings with six strikeouts, two walks, five hits and one run. Torie Rathwell pitched for Saint Michael's and recorded two strikeouts, two walks, seven hits and six runs.
- Mirabell went 2-for-3 at the plate while Beaton, Peabody and Murphy all went 1-for-2. Murphy recorded two runs and three stolen bases while Beaton earned two RBIs and one run and Peabody recorded two RBIs.
- The Hounds will travel to Merrimack on Tuesday for the first round of the NE10 tournament.
- This is the first time the team has won 22 games since 2012.