- Score: Assumption 12, Saint Michael's 0 (Game One); Saint Michael's 8, Assumption 7 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (21-20, 14-14 NE10), Saint Michael's (4-31, 3-21 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Marois Field)
- The Lead: Assumption dominated the first game with a seven-run inning to put Saint Michael's away 12-0, but could not catch up from being down 8-0 to the Purple Knights in the second game and came up short 8-7.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Assumption took an early lead in the bottom of the first when Alyssa Beaton (Smithfield, R.I./Smithfield High School) reached first on an error before Kayla Peabody (Mendon, Mass./Nipmuc Regional High School) hit her around with a double to right centerfield for a 1-0 lead.
- Beaton got the ball rolling in the bottom of the third when she singled up the middle of the field and then stole second. Victoria Petrie (Marlborough, Mass./Marlborough) scored Beaton for a 2-0 lead and Alyssa Bialakis (Boca Raton, Fla./St. John Paul's Academy) singled to centerfield to put runners on first and second with two outs. Mckenzie Richards (Cranston, R.I./Cranston High School East) singled up the middle of the field to score Petrie. Julia Mazzeo (Milford, N.H./Milford) then doubled to left center to score both Bialakis and Richards to extend the Hounds lead to 5-0.
- The Hounds struck again in the bottom of fourth inning with Haley Drakoulakos (Lowell, Mass./Lowell High School) singling to second and then stealing second base to put herself into scoring position. Peabody hit the ball up the middle to move Drakoulakos to third and then Peabody stole second to put two runners in scoring position with one out. Petrie stepped up to the plate and delivered a double through the left side of the field to score two more runs. Caitlin Mirabell (Shoreham, N.Y./Shoreham-Wading River) continued the spree with a single through the right side that put runners on first and third. Pinch runners Marissa Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Tewksbury Memorial High School) and Ally Hinojosa (Revere, Mass./Revere) stole second and home to give Assumption an 8-0 lead.
- Still in the bottom of the fourth, Bialakis stepped up and doubled to left center to score Doherty. The Hounds then loaded the bases and Shelby Lindsay (New Durham, N.H./Kingswood Regional High School) singled to right field and two of the runners crossed home plate while Lindsay advanced to second. Beaton ended the inning with a single up the middle to score Mazzeo and earn Assumption the 12-0 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Mia Nowicki (Chelsea, Mass./St. Mary's Lynn) earned the win for Assumption pitching five innings with three strikeouts, one walk and three hits to a total of 19 batters.
- Mazzeo went 2-for-2 at the plate with two RBIs and one run while Richards and Bialakis both went 2-for-3. Richards recorded two runs and one RBI while Bialakis earned one run and one RBI. Lindsay and Petrie both earned two RBIs while Lindsay went 1-for-1 in the box.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Saint Michael's jumped out early in the top of the first with the bases loaded and two outs. Courtney Norton put the ball in play and forced an error that drove two runs home to earn the Purple Knights a 2-0 lead. Another single from Saint Michael's scored a third run to extend their lead to three (3-0).
- In the top of the third, the Purple Knights strung together a triple followed by a double to score another run. They then loaded the bases before a single to left field by Sydney Longley drove in two more runs to give the Purple Knights a 6-0 lead. Saint Michael's extended their lead to eight (8-0) after an error allowed a second run to cross home.
- The Hounds put together a rally in the bottom of the third with Drakoulakos and Murphy on base with two outs. Peabody earned a walk to load the bases right before Petrie put the ball in play to force an error and score two runs to lessen the Purple Knights' lead to six (8-2).
- Assumption continued to chip away at the lead in the bottom of the fourth. The Hounds put runners on second and third and Drakoulakos caused an error to score both Hinojosa and Mazzeo and put Assumption within four (8-4).
- In the bottom of the seventh, Assumption started to string together a comeback. Drakoulakos hit a single to second base before Peabody reached first on an error. Petrie moved the two runners to second and third, but sacrificed an out to give the Purple Knights two on the inning. Mirabell hit a single to load the bases and then Bialakis singled to left center to score both Peabody and Drakoulakos to put the Hounds within two (8-6). Richards stepped up to the plate and singled up the right side of the field to score Doherty who was pinch running for Mirabell to put Assumption within one run of Saint Michael's (8-7). The Hounds were unable to earn the tying run and fell 8-7.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Nowicki took the loss for the Hounds pitching 2.2 innings with four strikeouts, two walks, seven hits and eight runs while Mia Patriacca (Newton, Mass./Newton North) finished out the game pitching 4.1 innings with no strikeouts, one walk and three hits to 18 batters.
- Drakoulakos went 1-for-2 with two runs and a stolen base while Bialakis went 2-for-4 with two RBIs. Richards recorded the other RBI of the game while Brooke Murphy (Salem, N.H./Salem High School) stole two bases in the game.
- The Hounds are back home Sunday, April 28, against Saint Michael's at 9 a.m. for their senior day.