- Score: Saint Anselm 100, Assumption 69
- Record: Saint Anselm (18-4, 14-3 NE10), Assumption (6-18, 2-15 NE10),
- Location: Manchester, N.H. (Stoutenburgh Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed by just one point midway through the first half, but Saint Anselm went on a 20-8 run in the last six minutes of the first half, and extended its lead over the final 20 minutes on the way to a 100-69 victory over the Hounds on Wednesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption took a 7-6 lead in the opening three minutes on a triple from Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) and the two teams were even at 11 apiece six minutes into the contest. They continued to trade baskets, and Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) connected on a shot from downtown for an 18-16 advantage with 12 minutes left in the period.
- The Hounds trailed just 21-19 at the midpoint of the first, before a 4-1 run by the Hawks made it 25-20. Eight straight pushed the lead to 13 points, before Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) made a layup at 6:33 to trail 33-22. Over the final six minutes of the period, Saint Anselm went on a 20-8 run to stretch its lead to 53-30 at the half.
- In the second, Assumption used a 12-5 run, including a pair of Michael Speight (Morningside, Md. / Wise / Canterbury) threes, to pull within 15, 58-43, at 15:46. The teams went back-and-forth over the next four minutes, through the Hawks eventually pushed their lead to 24 points. The Hounds cut it to 77-56 on a triple from Speight with 9:37 left, however, they wouldn't get any closer. Saint Anselm outscored Assumption 20-13 over the final nine minutes of the contest on the way to the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption connected on 43.9 percent of its shots overall, including 13-for-16 from the charity stripe and 6 of 21 from downtown. Saint Anselm shot 61.7 percent overall, including an impressive 12-for-19 from beyond the arc. The Hawks also held a 35-27 rebounding advantage.
- Kelly led Assumption with 13 points, while Speight had 11 and Brown added ten off the bench. Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) came through with ten points, six rebounds, four steals and two assists while Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII / San Francisco State) chipped in 11 points, six rebounds and two assists.
- Cody Ball paced the Hawks with 27 points and six assists, while Tim Guers added 23 points and four boards. Gustav Suhr-Jessen finished with 10 points, six rebounds and six assists.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team travels to face off against Saint Michael's at 3:30 p.m.