- Score: Caldwell 70 Assumption 58
- Records: Caldwell (6-6), Assumption (5-7)
- Location: Caldwell, N.J. (Corino Court)
- The Lead: Caldwell went on a run midway through the first half and Assumption was never able to close the gap to single digits over the final 30 minutes of the contest as the Hounds dropped a 70-58 contest in non-conference action on Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption trailed just 5-4 before Caldwell went on a 9-0 run to stretch its lead to ten points at 14:40. Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) ended the run with a triple one minute later, however, a 10-2 run by the Cougars extended their advantage to 24-9 midway through the period.
- The Hounds closed within 10, 32-22, on consecutive three-point field goals by Kelly with 3:16 left in the half. Caldwell was able to push it back to a 16-point lead in the final minute of action, but Bryan Boehlert (Gaithersburg, Md. / Magruder) connected on a pair of free throws with 22 seconds left as Assumption trailed 41-27 at the half.
- Damien Rance (Melbourne, Australia / Pope John XXIII) scored a basket to open the second, but four straight Cougar point made it a 16-point contest at 16:45. Assumption pulled within 11 on a Michael Speight (Morningside, Md. / Wise) triple, 46-35, though six consecutive points extended the Caldwell lead to 52-35 with 13:38 left. The Hounds closed it to a 13-point contest on a Chris Crespo (Smithtown, N.Y. / Smithtown West) three midway through the period.
- Assumption was unable to get the deficit into single digits as the Cougars answered each run. Trailing by 14, the Hounds held Caldwell scoreless for over two minutes but were also unable to cut into the lead. Five straight points from Assumption in the last two minutes provided the 70-58 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds shot 43.8 percent in the contest while allowing Caldwell to make 60 percent of its field goal attempts. Assumption went 9-for-29 from downtown while the Cougars hit just 3-for-11 from beyond the arc. They also held a 29-22 rebound advantage while committing three fewer turnovers (16-13).
- Kelly led Assumption with 15 points and three assists, while Boehlert scored a season-high 11 points and Cal Connelly (Rochester, N.H. / Spaulding) was also in double figures with ten points. Malik Brown (Waldorf, Md. / Northpoint) chipped in six points, three rebounds and two assists in 16 minutes off the bench.
- AJ Kittles paced Caldwell with 19 points, while Ned Ogoemesim had 11 points and seven rebounds. Ahmad Harrison was also in double figures with 14 points and four assists.
- Assumption returns to action on Jan. 2, when the Hounds travel to play Bentley at 7 p.m.