- Score: Southern N.H. 79, Assumption 75
- Records: Southern N.H. (15-11, 11-10 NE10), Assumption 7-20, 3-18 NE10)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gym)
- The Lead: Assumption trailed by as many as 21 points in in the second half but stormed back to pull within two in the final 70 seconds before ultimately coming up short, 79-75, to Southern New Hampshire on Tuesday in the team's season finale.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Penmen came out shooting well and led the Hounds by 13, 23-10, with 12 minutes left in the first half. SNHU extended its lead as high as 19 points with 7:42 left before the Hounds started to heat up. Assumption was able to slowly close the gap and pulled as close as nine before a late dunk left the Hounds down 44-33 at the break.
- SNHU started the second half right where they left off, going on a 13-4 run over the first seven minutes of the period. The Penmen continued their run as they took an 18 point lead with 10 minutes remaining in the game. Assumption started to create some scoring opportunities and a pair of Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) free throws to trimmed the deficit to 15, 66-51, with seven minutes left.
- In the final six minutes of the contest, Assumption continued its comeback, with Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) knocking down a triple to make it a 68-60 contest with 4:42 left. Trailing by nine with 2:20 left, the Hounds scored seven straight, capped off by a Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) layup to make it a 77-75 contest with 1:07 left. However, Assumption missed on its next possession and was forced to foul as SNHU held on for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Hounds finished the contest shooting 50.0 percent from the floor and 11-for-27 from downtown. SNHU shot 63.0 percent in the first half but cooled and finished at 52.8 percent for the game, though the Penmen made 11 of 22 from beyond the arc.
- Assumption had three double digit scorers in the contest. Sullivan led the Hounds with 26 points and eight rebounds. Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) added 17 points with seven rebounds and three steals while Fleming chipped in seven points, six assists, three rebounds and two steals. Kelly was in double figures with 12 points and five dimes.
- Chris Walters led SNHU with 24 points, eight rebounds and two steals while Daquaise Andrews added 10 points, eight boards and six steals.