- Score: Assumption 79, Adelphi 69
- Records: Assumption (4-9, 1-7 NE10), Adelphi (5-10, 1-6 NE10)
- Location: Garden City, N.Y. (CRS)
- The Lead: Assumption led by as many as 18 points in the first half in its quest for a third straight win, but saw its lead shrink as small as four in the second before finishing the game strong for a 79-69 victory over Adelphi on Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Assumption jumped out to a 13-10 lead four minutes into the contest and then scored nine straight to push its lead to 22-10. Branislav Vujadinovic (Belgrade, Serbia / St. Joseph) made it a 27-15 contest at 11:12 and Patrick Fleming (Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. / Iona Prep) stretched it to 31-17 with 8:23 left in the period.
- The Hound lead climbed as high as 35-17 with 6:22 left, however, Adelphi slowly closed the gap over the final six minutes of the period. The Panthers made it a ten-point game in last minute, but a Joe Sullivan (Utica, N.Y. / Notre Dame HS / Mohawk Valley CC) layup provided a 40-28 advantage at the break.
- In the second half, the teams traded baskets over the first seven minutes of the period. Adelphi was able to close the gap to six points on a pair of free throws with 10:31 left and then trimmed it to 61-57 just over one minute later.
- Darien Walcott (Bay Shore, N.Y. / Bay Shore) pushed the lead back to seven with a clutch three and Matthew Kelly (North Potomac, Md. / Quince Orchard) followed with a steal and layup for a 66-57 advantage at 7:54. That started a 14-2 run and Assumption stretched its lead to 75-59 on anther Walcott triple at 4:28, before eventually finishing with the ten-point victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Assumption shot 55.8 percent from the floor including an impressive 10 of 17 from beyond the arc. Adelphi made 44.4 percent of its field goal attempts and was only 8-for-27 from downtown. Each team grabbed 29 rebounds while the Hounds turned it over just 12 times.
- Vujadinovic posted a career-high 25 points while also recording seven rebounds, two steals and two blocks. Kelly added 13 points, six assists, three rebounds and a pair of steals.
- Sullivan was in double figures with 13 points, four rebounds and four assists, while Fleming chipped in nine points, eight rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- Jack Laffey paced Adelphi with 21 points while Michael Coffey added 14 points, eight rebounds and two assists.
- Tonight's win extended Assumption's win streak to three games. It is the longest win streak for the program since the 2012-2013 season when then Hounds opened the year 8-0.
- Assumption returns to action on Saturday when the team hosts New Haven at 3:30 pm.