- Score: No. 9 Assumption 1, Stonehill 0
- Records: No. 9 Assumption (16-3, 11-3 NE10), Stonehill (11-6, 11-3 NE10)
- Location: Easton, Mass. (W.B. Mason Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption scored in the first quarter and then held on the remainder of the game to earn a 1-0 upset victory and solidify their way into the NE10 Semifinals on Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both teams were scoreless up until the eleventh minute of play. Assumption secured their first penalty corner of the game when Courtney Sickel (Atkinson, N.H./Timberlane Regional) hit a hard shot at the goalie that the goalkeeper saved, but Deirdre Burchill (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) picked up the rebound and lifted the ball up and over the goalie and into the new for a 1-0 lead headed into the second quarter.
- In the second quarter the Hounds dialed up their defense and did not allow Stonehill any shots or penalty corners after the Skyhawks recorded two of each in the first quarter. The same happened in the third quarter where Assumption was able to keep Stonehill at no shots or penalty corners.
- The Skyhawks fought back in the fourth quarter when they recorded four shots and two penalty corners while the Hounds earned no shots or penalty corners. Despite the Skyhawks having the advantage in the fourth quarter, they were unable to get the ball in the back of the net and Assumption earned the 1-0 upset victory to make their way to the NE10 Semifinals.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kylie Gargiulo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) earned her fifteenth win of the season with one save while Katie Lammando of the Skyhawks recorded six saves.
- The Hounds outshot the Skyhawks 15-6 and earned three more penalty corners than Stonehill (7-4).
- This is the second time that Assumption has upset Stonehill in the NE10 Tournament.
- The Hounds will play in the NE10 Semifinals on Friday, November 4. The time and opponent will be determined by the winner of the Saint Anselm and Franklin Pierce game.