- Score: Assumption 2, New Haven 0
- Records: Assumption (1-0), New Haven (0-2)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: Assumption took an early lead with both goals in the first quarter before fending off a New Haven second half effort to seal the 2-0 season opening victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The action started early in the first three minutes of play when the Hounds earned a penalty corner. Summer Walsh (South Yarmouth, Mass./Dennia-Yarmouth Regional) inserted the ball to Jenna Graf (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Shenendehowa) who rocketed a shot past the goalie to give Assumption the 1-0 lead.
- The second goal came almost ten minutes later when Jennifer Beardsley (Essex, Mass./Manchester Essex Regional) had a breakaway down the right side of the field. She crossed the ball to the left side of the cage where Deirdre Burchill (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) used her reverse stick to redirect the ball past the goalkeeper for the Hounds to go up 2-0.
- In the third quarter New Haven earned their first penalty corner of the game and fired two shots at goalie Kylie Gargiulo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) before Assumption was able to gain possession again. The Chargers earned two more penalty corners in the fourth quarter, but were unable to put the ball in the cage and the Hounds took the 2-0 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gargiulo earned the win for Assumption with four saves while Natalie Shaker of New Haven had 13 saves in the game.
- The Hounds dominated with 31 shots and 15 penalty corners versus the Chargers six shots and three penalty corners.
- The Hounds are on the road at Franklin Pierce on Tuesday, September 10 at 4 p.m.