- Score: Stonehill 2, Assumption 1
- Records: Stonehill (4-1, NE10 1-0), Assumption (4-2, NE10 0-1)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Multi-Sport Stadium)
- The Lead: In an intense matchup between No. 2 Stonehill and No. 8 Assumption, No. 2 Stonehill came away with a 2-1 victory despite Assumption earning a penalty corner in the last minute of play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- It was back-and-forth play with only one penalty corner piece when freshman Jenna Graf (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Shenendehowa) dodged a defender on the left side of the circle to create space. She wound up and knocked a shot to the left of the cage right past Stonehill goalkeeper Sara Freedman to score the first goal of the game and give the Hounds a 1-0 lead.
- The next two goals came from Stonehill's Kacie Smith with the first one being a one-on-one with Assumption goalie Sarah Bodzinski (Southwick, Mass./Southwick Tolland), as Smith dodged right and then lifted a shot into the goal past three Hounds defenders to tie the game. Smith's second goal came off of a penalty corner, where she was able to get her stick on the ball through a scrum in front of the net for the Skyhawks to take the lead 2-1.
- The Hounds were able to change momentum for the last few minutes of the game and even able to get a penalty corner in the final minute. Sam Tepper (Stroudsburg, Pa./Stroudsburg) got a hard shot at the goalie that was saved and then ruled to come back out of the circle. The Skyhawks possessed the ball for the rest of the game and take the 2-1 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Freedman recorded the win for the Skyhawks with ten saves and senior captain Bodzinski ended the game with four.
- The Hounds dominated in shots in the game 15-10 with four in the first half and eleven in the second. They outshot the Skyhawks in both the first half (4-3) and the second half (11-7).
- Assumption also led in penalty corners with the majority coming in the second half where they led the Skyhawks 4-1. Stonehill only recorded two corners on the day where the Hounds had a total of six.
- The Hounds are on the road for their next game against Saint Anselm on Saturday, September 29 at 1 p.m.