- Score: Bentley 11, Assumption 6 (Game One); Assumption 10, Bentley 6 (Game Two)
- Records: Assumption (17-21-1, 11-9-1 NE10); Bentley (17-14, 11-5 NE10)
- Location: Waltham, Mass. (DeFelice Field)
- The Lead: The Assumption baseball team split today's twin bill with Bentley, dropping the first game 11-6, before taking the nightcap 10-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME ONE
- Senior Kyle Chudoba (Oxford, Conn. / Oxford) started game one for Assumption and lasted 4.0 innings, allowing nine runs (five earned) on seven hits, four walks and a pair of strikeouts. Sophomore Kyle Autilio (Saugus, Mass. / Saugus) was a bright spot for the Hounds, throwing two perfect innings with one strikeout.
- Bentley carried over its hot hitting from yesterday, scoring at-least one run in the game's first five innings, including four multi-run innings. The Hounds found themselves in an 11-1 hole in the fifth inning that they couldn't dig themselves out of.
- Junior Hunter Tralli (Berlin, Conn. / Northwest Catholic) got Assumption on the board in the second inning when he led off with a triple to center field, before freshman Andrew Moccia (Lynn, Mass. / Lynn Classical) knocked him in with a single to right center field.
- The Hounds scored a pair of runs in the top of the sixth as sophomore Jared Brescia (Brentwood, N.H. / Exeter) led off the inning by getting hit by a pitch and senior Quinn Moynihan (Worcester, Mass. / Lipscomb University) sent him home with a RBI triple. Freshman Brendan Desautels (Holden, Mass. / Holy Name Central Catholic) followed that with a RBI single down the left field line.
- Assumption's final two runs came in the eighth inning when they loaded the bases with no outs but could only get two runners home. Moynihan singled through the left side of the infield and Desautels followed suit, before senior Andrew Jaehnig (Quincy, Mass. / Boston College) was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Senior Jake Byrne (Grafton, Mass. / Saint John's) reached on a fielder's choice to score Moynihan and Desautels scored on a failed pickoff attempt to end the scoring at 11-6.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME ONE
- Moynihan finished 3-for-5 with two runs and a RBI, while Desautels also went 3-for-5 with a run and RBI.
- Byrne finished 2-for-5 with a run and RBI and Tralli went 2-for-3 with a pair of walks and a run.
HOW IT HAPPENED: GAME TWO
- Senior Tom Horstkotte (Milford, Mass. / St. John's) took the mound in game two, pitching 4.0 innings and surrendering six runs (five earned) on six hits, four walks and three strikeouts. Junior Mike Keinz (North Branford, Conn. / Notre Dame) pitched the final 5.0 innings, earning the win after not allowing a run and striking out six batters.
- Assumption jumped out to a short lived 2-0 lead in the top of the first, when Jaehnig singled up the middle and sophomore Derek Adamson (Chelmsford, Mass. / Chelmsford) reached base on an error by the third baseman. Tralli then walked to load the bases and Byrne came through with a two-RBI single to right field.
- Bentley responded with two runs of its own in the bottom of the first to tie the game. The Falcons then scored a single run in both the second and third inning to take a 4-2 lead.
- The Hounds struck for four runs in the top of the fifth to take a 6-4 lead, when Desautels reached base on an error and Jaehnig followed that with a single to put two runners on with no outs. Tralli singled to load the bases and Byrne's sacrifice fly brought the Hounds within one run (4-3). Junior Kevin Quinlivan (Shrewsbury, Mass. / St. John's) gave Assumption the lead with the biggest hit of the inning, roping a two-RBI triple to right center field (5-4), before freshman Dillon Zona (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Shrewsbury) recorded a RBI single up the middle (6-4).
- Bentley came right back in the bottom of the fifth to tie the game at six runs apiece when they loaded the bases with no outs, before Keinz entered the game to help Assumption get out of the jam. He walked in the next two runs before settling down and punching out the next three batters.
- Keinz did not allow another run for the remainder of the game, giving the Hounds a chance to win the game. The team took full advantage in the top of the ninth, when Byrne hit a go ahead, bases clearing triple to put the Hounds up 9-6. Byrne came around to score when Quinlivan hit a sacrifice fly to finish the scoring at 10-6.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS: GAME TWO
- Byrne had a monster game, finishing 2-for-4 with a triple and six RBI.
- Jaehnig went 3-for-4 with a double and three runs, while Quinlivan went 2-for-4 with a run and three RBI.
- Adamson scored three runs and Tralli finished 2-for-3 with a pair of walks and runs.